Committed to Your Christian Formation
Spiritual Formation is the process of deepening one’s relationship with God by being further formed into His image through the practice of spiritual disciplines and experiences. Toccoa Falls College is committed to offering personal and community experiences that significantly impacts the student in their relationship with Jesus. Each student completes spiritual formation credits to deepen their relationship with God.
Opportunities and Resources
Spiritual Formation Credits
When we love God with all that we have and love others around us, we care about their spiritual growth. Spiritual formation credits at Toccoa Falls College help foster spiritual growth in the lives of our students on campus. Residential and commuter students should complete a certain number of Spiritual Formation Credits throughout each semester by participating in many of the community experiences listed above. Read more about specific spiritual formation credit requirements in the FAQ below.
- Participating in Chapel.
- Weekly Tuesday and Wednesday
- Periodic Monday department, school, and special experiences
- Periodic Evening worship experiences for special events and conferences
- Attending Barnabas Group (Small Group) with an approved BGroup leader
- Participating in Student Mission Fellowship (SMF) on Wednesday nights in WM 104 at 6:30pm.
- Watch + Reflect on Online Chapels
- Students can watch up to 5 Online Chapels and write a one page, double- spaced summary that reflects on the theme, content, and formative aspects of the entirety of the worship experience.
- For each summary reflection submitted from the current semester, students receive one spiritual formation credit, and can earn up to a total of 5 spiritual formation credits in a given semester.
- Summaries are due at 5:00 pm on the day of the last Chapel
- Spiritual Formation Project
- Participating in the Hmong Student Association (HSA) on Thursday evenings and held at various locations and times.
- Approved Mentorship for the purpose of Christian formation.
- Approved Scripture Memorization
- Obtain, complete, and submit a mentor proposal form from the Director of Spiritual Formation.
- Students receive 1 spiritual formation credit for participating in a mentoring session (typically 1 hour) and can earn up to a total of 5 spiritual formation credits in a given semester.
- Students are required to pursue a mentoring relationship that focuses on spiritual formation. A student’s semester plan for formation should be broadly delineated in statement form and approved by the DSF prior to the initial mentoring session.
- Students, at the conclusion of the semester, are required to submit a one-page, single-spaced, reflection report on the mentoring experience with an eye toward meeting the objectives of the original formation plan. This report requires the signature of the student and mentor.
These activities do not qualify for SFCs. However, students are encouraged to maintain an ongoing practice of personal disciplines that nurture Christian formation (e.g., solitude, prayer, the study of Scripture, mission/evangelism, etc.).
Students are encouraged to take advantage of sacred spaces set aside for personal and corporate times of prayer, reflection, and encouragement in residence halls, the beautiful outdoors, and the various prayer rooms.
Furthermore, Christian formation requires participation in a local faith community. It is the expectation at TFC that all faculty, staff, and students attend, participate, and contribute to the life of a local Christian congregation of their choosing.
- Students who are significantly involved in formative ministry in a local church setting are invited to work with the OSF in co-creating a Spiritual Formation Project that can satisfy a portion of the requirement to earn typically 5 spiritual formation credits during the semester.
- Project proposals must be developed in conjunction with the OSF and approved within the first 30 days of a given semester.
- Students are required to check in through the iAttended App to receive a credit for Chapel, Barnabas Group, Student Mission Fellowship, or Hmong Student Association gatherings.
- Students will either be given a QR code or a four digit code to enter.
- All other forms of credit must be submitted with required forms, signatures, or reflections no later than 5PM on the last day of Chapel.
|On Campus Students||30 Spiritual Formation Credits/semester|
|Commuters within 15 miles||25 Spiritual Formation Credits/semester|
|Commuters beyond 15 miles||15 Spiritual Formation Credits/semester|
- Students who fail to earn the required number of spiritual formation credits by the end of the semester will be subject to a $20 fine for each credit under the required amount. Fines must be paid in full before resuming classes the following semester.
- Students are always encouraged to attend Chapel even if they are late or need to leave earlier. However, to receive spiritual formation credit, students must scan in with the iAttended app before 10:10AM to receive spiritual formation credit, and will not receive credit if they leave early.
- Contact email@example.com via email about missing credit and submit a written credit request within three weeks that includes your full name, student ID number, and the unaccounted date.
- Find and monitor your total number of spiritual formation credits through the iAttend app located on MyTFC.