TFC Health Alert: COVID-19 Message
At this time the U.S. is being flooded with news reports and rumors surrounding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), Toccoa Falls College shares concern for those affected by it. At TFC, we take the safety of our students, faculty and staff very seriously. While the TFC community has not been directly affected, we know that our students, faculty, staff, parents, and family members have questions about the Coronavirus. We want to do our best to provide up-to-date information on the Coronavirus in an effort to continue educating our community.
TFC is actively monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak through the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). If you choose to travel the CDC recommends the following:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
- CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- If you plan to travel outside of the United States, please check travel guidance posted on the CDC website which can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
Most people with the COVID-19 illness will recover on their own. Although there are no specific treatments for illnesses caused by human coronaviruses, you can take the following actions to relieve symptoms if you are mildly sick:
- Take pain and fever medications.
- Use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Stay home and rest.