- Ph.D. – State University of New York at Buffalo
- M.A. – State University of New York at Buffalo
- B.S. – Toccoa Falls College
- 1989-The Robert G. Torbet Prize, awarded by the American Baptist Historical Society, for the essay: For Country and God: Baptists and the Evangelization of Immigrants in the Late Nineteenth Century
- 2002: Faculty of the Year (SGA)
- 2009: Professor of Impact (SGA)
- 2012: Professor of Impact (SGA)
- 2015: Professor of Impact (SGA)
- Conference on Faith and History
- Oral History Association
Race and Ethnicity
- “Adapted to the Circumstances: Joseph Smith and Divine Revelation in Early Mormon History, 1830-1844” SUNY at Buffalo: Studies in History 5 (1983/1984)
- “For Country and God: Baptists and the Evangelization of Immigrants in the Late Nineteenth Century” American Baptist Quarterly 9 (September 1990)
- Italians, Baptists, and the Roman Catholic Church in Turn of the Century Buffalo: given at the Cushawa Center Conference, “American Catholicism in the Twentieth Century,” University of Notre Dame, November 2, 1990.
- What Does a Descendant of Slavic Evangelicals Have in Common with Those of English Separatists?: given at the Thanksgiving Meeting of the Buffalo Chapter of the General Society of Mayflower Descendants, November 20, 1993.
- Featured speaker in the program From Our Past, In the Present, For the Future: Preserving Oral History Along the Tugaloo Corridor, Stephens County Historical Museum, March 2, 2013.
- Co-hosted the program There’s More to the Story: Towards an oral history of African Americans in Stephens County, Stephens County Historical Museum, February 28, 2015.
- Addressed the Toccoa Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, March 5, 2016, on Tugaloo Bend Heritage Park and the “Tugaloo Corridor Project”.
What year did you begin teaching at TFC
What is your favorite aspect of teaching at TFC
Interacting with students in the classroom
What courses do you teach at TFC
Western Civ I and II; US History I and II; Twentieth Century World History; Ancient Greece and Rome; Medieval Europe; American Church History; Asian History; Historiography; History Seminar
When I’m away from the classroom, I enjoy
Outdoor activities on land and water
People might be interested to know
I don’t watch the History Channel
- Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will direct your paths.
- It takes more than mindless passion, It takes more than dogma in mime; It takes more than virtuous fashion, To withstand the winds of time. (Mark Heard)
- Older now but still runnin’ against the wind (Bob Seger)