- 1991 Ph.D.- Organic Chemistry from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1986- B.S.- Chemistry- Wake Forest University
- 2014-15- Governor’s Teaching Fellow
- 2013- Brady Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2007- Six Sigma Master Black Belt
- American Chemical Society
- Natural sources of raw materials from biomass to replace or supplement petroleum products in commercial products and as alternative fuel sources
- Formation and manufacture of composites containing cellulose and other natural materials, and their adhesives
Scholarly Work and Publications
- Apparatus for Connecting Framing Components of a Building to a Foundation. US Patent 8793950
- Wood Composite Material Containing Strands of Differing Densities. US Patent 7993736
- Wood Composite Material Containing Strands of Differing Densities. US Patent 7662457
- Engineered Wood Boards with Reduced VOC Emissions. US Patent 7553549
- Strength-Enhanced, Lightweight Lignocellulosic Composite Board Materials. US Patent 7217458
- Phenolic Resins Compatible with Wax Emulsions. US Patent 6028133
- Composites Prepared with Ready-to-Use Resin/Wax Emulsion Adhesives. US Patent 6132885
- Liquid Crystal Composition and Alignment Layer for Display Device. US Patent 5578351
- Efficient Chemistry for Selective Modification and Metallization of Substrates. US Patent 5648201
- Development of a Standardized Laboratory VOC Test Method to Measure Hot-Press Emissions. Proc. 31st International Particleboard/Composite Materials Symp.
- Enzymatic Modification of a Chemisorbed Lipid Monolayer. Langmuir, 12(18), 4411-4416.
- Properties of Hydrophilic Self-Assembled Monolayers Effecting the Alignment of Liquid Crystals.
- Photoinduced Electron Transfer in Redox Active Lysines. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 113 (1991), 8540 8542
- Synthesis of Redox Derivatives of Lysine and Related Peptides Containing Phenothiazine or Tris (2,2′- Bipyridine) Ruthenium (II). Int. J. Peptide Protein Res. 38 (1991), 114-123.
What year did you begin teaching at TFC
What is your favorite aspect of teaching at TFC
I really like the strong sense of Christian fellowship and community at TFC.
What courses do you teach at TFC
- Chemistry I
- Chemistry II
- Organic Chemistry I
- Organic Chemistry II
- Physics I
- Physics II
- Scientific Literacy
When I’m away from the classroom, I enjoy…
- Yard work
Favorite verses/ quotations:
John 1:1-3 (NIV)
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made.”